Saturday, November 29, 2014

I'm grateful for...



     On this holiday weekend we had a chance to reflect on everything with which we are blessed.  I realized that I have a really good life.

     I was raised in a family with both a mother and a father who loved me.  They were there for me throughout my childhood.  They taught me great values, work ethics, and balance in all things.  As I grew, they didn't hold me back.  My parents backed off enough to allow me to make my own mistakes, or succeed in anything I put my mind to.  They were always there to help if I needed it though.  When I became an adult, they helped me more times than I can count.  They've bailed me out financially.  They've stepped in to help with my family when we thought I was going to die.  They supported me in any endeavor I've pursued. I'm horrible about keeping in touch with family, and even being neglected, they love me.  As I've become a father I've come to realize just how much they've sacrificed  to be the great parents that they are, and I'm grateful for it.

     I'm grateful for my brothers and sisters.  I have five brothers.  They have been examples to me in different ways, and I look up to them so much.  Even my youngest brother who is only 12.  He lives in California with my dad, rarely sees any of us, and loves us as if we've grown up together.  My older brothers blazed very different paths in life.  Each one has been an example to me; school, dating, marriage, fatherhood, and friendship.  They've shown me everything I should and could be.  My younger brother has been the most supportive person I've met.  He was the first to read, edit, and support my writing.  He actively tries to find ways to help me.  He's an amazing man.  I have 3 sisters.  They've taught me how to understand and treat women.  My older sister is the most tenacious woman you could ever know.  She got straight A's not because she was the smartest person in school, but because it was what she wanted and she'd study until she was sure she would pass.  She will not be told that she can't do something.  She's 5' 1" and a police officer.  She graduated the police academy with better scores than most of  the men, and set records for the women, in spite of her size.  I feel sorry for the criminal who underestimates her.  When she got breast cancer, I think she was sad for like a week, and then decided she would beat it.  She did.  She's the embodiment of determination.  My younger two sisters have influenced me in ways I couldn't imagine.  I fought with my sister just younger than me all the time growing up.  She taught me patience.  She also prepared me for kids because my oldest is just like her; she's always right (.::winks::.).  The reverse side of that is her open and loving nature.  She would give you the shirt off her back if you needed it.  My youngest sister was like one of my own daughters.  I felt like an essential part of her upbringing.  I was young myself, so I apologize for my many mistakes, Trisha, but you prepared me for fatherhood, and I can never tell you how much I appreciate that.

     I'm grateful for being born in a country which is not only free, but strives to do good in the world.  I complain about politics.  I complain about elected officials.  I complain about certain laws.  But when it comes down to it, I feel that I live in the greatest country in the world.  When I see a man or woman in uniform, I get almost teary-eyed.  Our troops sacrifice even their lives to protect my freedoms.  Not only that, but they sacrifice to help those without a voice throughout the world.  There may be many who believe that America has alternative motives for the war which we wage, but those men and women who serve in the military protect the people who suffer in those conflicts.  They are amazing people, and I look up to them so much.  I look up to our politicians for their efforts.  Even though I complain, I know that I couldn't do better with so much to balance.  The men and women in congress, judge's seats, senate, presidency, military command, etc. have a gift of balance and virtue, regardless of their many downfalls.  They make mistakes, to be sure, but we make steady progress regardless. 

     I'm grateful for my beautiful wife.  Michelle has been with me through my best and worst.  She has supported me when most women would have left me.  She has a will of iron, and a determination to succeed that I don't think I could begin to emulate.  She is the kindest, most loving woman I've ever met.  She loves me.  It's a simple, unconditional love.  It's what I need most in the world.  No matter how bad things have gotten, I could and can always depend on her.  I trust her with everything that I am.  She has sacrificed a great many things for me, and I can never repay her for those sacrifices.  I can only love her in return.  She is an amazing mother.  She brings honor to the title "Mother".  You can't help but respect her for it.  She doesn't have to protest, or demand women's rights.  Everyone who knows her wants to show her the respect which she deserves simply by her bearing.  She conducts herself in such a way as you cannot help but treat her with respect.  I love her with all of my heart. 

     I'm grateful for in-laws who are amazing.  My Mother and Father in law are wonderful people.  I've heard that a lot of people don't like their in-laws.  I feel bad for them.  I'm as comfortable with mine as I am with my own parents.  They are loving and accepting.  They were hard on me while I courted my wife (as every good parent should be), but the moment we married I was family.  They've never made me feel like I was an outsider.  They take an active part in my life, and the lives of my children without interfering with our method of rearing our family.  They are great examples to me, and I strive to have a marriage like theirs.  Family is the most important thing to them and it shows in their daily actions.  My siblings-in-law (if that's a word) are amazing, too.  They feel like real siblings, and I'm as comfortable hanging out with them as I am with my own family.  

     I'm grateful for my 3 beautiful children.  They are as diverse as the galaxies in the universe.  Each has their own quirks, to be sure, but they are all good children.  I don't know how I got so lucky because they are pretty self-reliant.  They push for what they want in life.  They all do well in school because they inherently know that it's important.  They get along responsibly well.  My oldest has almost all of the same interest as I do, and we have a special bond because of it.  My son is the most helpful, perceptive, kind person you will ever meet.  I can depend on him for anything.  He has always made me so proud.  My youngest is tiny, like her aunt, and everyone she knows just wants to rally around her and protect her.  In return she is the most openly loving girl you could know.  I wish I could say that I'm doing a great job raising them, but I honestly feel like they teach me more than I could ever teach them, and I look up to each of them so much.  They will be incredible in whatever they do. 

     I'm grateful for friends.  I have incredible friends.  When my best friend found out I had gotten so sick that I could no longer work, he gave a job to my wife in his company.  He held our hands through the whole ordeal, and helped us get back on our feet as we tried to recover from our struggles.  Another friend from high school rallied our whole high school class with a fund-raiser to get me the treatment I needed.  I might not be here today without their joint efforts.  I was overwhelmed with the kindness these people who hadn't seen me in over a decade showed for me and my family.  There are a great number of good people in my life.

     I'm grateful for good neighbors.  When we first moved here, my health was just starting to improve.  The people around us have jumped at opportunities to help us out.  They are great neighbors.  I can't count the number of times when a neighbor brought us dinner because they heard I had a seizure or something.  They are good, big-hearted people, and I love them.  

     I'm grateful for doctors.  I would be dead now if not for the medical help we have in today's society.  I've been to a lot of doctors, and there are a precious few who really take interest in their patients.  Those few saved my life.  Simple things made all of the difference.  

     I'm just grateful for my life.  It's had its trials, but for the most part, it's been a very good life.  I couldn't ask for anything more.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment