Saturday, November 1, 2014

Bio



I come from a family of 10 (13 if you count my step-parents and 1/2 brother), so having someone to play with, growing up, was never a problem.  We moved only one time in my childhood, and it was only a few miles away.  My parents were normal parents, and I had a pretty good childhood.

I was a swimmer in high school, and we were a virtually undefeated team.  I wrestled one year, and lost only one match, but a knee injury prevented me from pursuing the sport.  I loved swimming, though.  Being in the water was always second nature to me.  I don't know if there is a better feeling than cutting through the water as fast as you can.  I was an avid rock-climber along with my brother and friends, and enjoyed just about any outdoor activity you can imagine.

I was fortunate enough to meet the love of my life at the tender age of 16.  I know most people don't believe in love at first sight, but I can tell you, from first hand knowledge, that it exists.  I believe that there is a reason for most of the things that happen in our lives, and I believe that I met her when I did because that was the time I would need her most.  My parents divorced shortly after I met my wife, and she became my shoulder to cry on.

When I was 19, I went to Sao Paulo, Brazil, to serve and L.D.S. mission for two years.  I learned the difficult language Portuguese, and discovered a wonderful culture and people.  The Brazilian people I met are the nicest people in the world.  I love them dearly.  I still have many friends from Brazil with whom I keep contact. Learning Portuguese allows me to understand Spanish and Italian, though I can't really speak those languages.  It has also opened my eyes to aspects of the English language that only learning another Latin-based language can do.

I always dreamed of working in the medical field.  I had the grades to back up my dream, and even graduated high school with a medical assistant degree.  But life had other plans for me.  I married my beautiful wife just two months after returning from Brazil.  It was a crazy time.  There was so much to get use to.  I took the first job I could get so that I could afford a ring, and we threw together a wedding in a fast and furious frenzy.  It's the one decision I've never regretted.

We now have three kids that are the joy of our lives.

I worked in sales for almost ten years before I couldn't work anymore.  Some time after returning from Brazil, I started having stomach problems.  Things escalated to the point that I was throwing up several times a day, having seizures, I had a mini-stroke, thick blood, and a mountain of other problems.  The doctors could identify all of my symptoms but almost none of the causes.  It was a frustrating time.  My wife and I decided to switch places.  She became the provider, and I became the "mom".  It was quite the adjustment for both of us.  Luckily, I knew how to cook (I quite enjoy it, actually) but the rest of it was almost beyond me.  I take my hat off to all you mommies out there.

In the last year or two I've been able to level out my disease through diet, medicine, and life-style changes to a point that I can live a reasonably normal and happy life.  I did, however, want more from life.  I wanted to be something, and since medicine was out of the question, I started looking at my favorite hobbies.  Writing instantly became the winner for, "what I wanted to be when I grew up."

I have written two books, Dragon Warrior and Dragon Sight which I self-published mostly because of intimidation of the publishing world.  I'm learning new things about writing, advertising, promoting, and balancing a personal life every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment