Monday, April 13, 2015

The Secret



     The Secret is a motivational book, written by Rhonda Byrne, made into a movie.  I'm sure most of you have at least heard of it.  I was working in Sales when this came out, so naturally it was a hot commodity in my business, and we watched it as soon as it came out, but we were reminded of it just recently.

     We had an upset in our house with my daughter when she didn't get a part in a play which she really wanted.  She was up all night crying about it.  Before her audition, she was being very negative.  The whole time before the audition, my wife kept whispering, "secret, secret, secret" like they do in the movie, and of course my daughter had no idea what she was talking about.  So when she didn't get the part, and my daughter said she knew she wouldn't, my wife decided we needed to watch this with her.  I'm kind of glad I did because even with the corny stuff in the movie, the overall message is very good.

     Basically, the "Secret" is the law of attraction.  If you focus on good stuff, your mind sends out a message to the universe to bring you more good stuff.  If you focus on bad stuff, your mind doesn't know the difference, and sends out a message to bring more bad stuff.  Byrne even goes so far as to relate it to Aladdin and the Genie in the lamp.  All Aladdin had to do is wish and his wish was the all-powerful genie's command.  All we have to do is ask, and truly imagine/believe that we will receive, and the universe will make it happen.

     I'm one of those people that these motivational speakers hate because I don't believe in genies.  However, this tactic actually works, just not in they way they make it seem.  If you focus on something, and truly put it first and foremost in your thoughts, works, and deeds, you'll accomplish that thing.  Even if it takes decades and a thousand failed attempts, you will eventually get it right.  So the law of attraction is true because you make stuff happen by your continued effort.

     The other aspect to this is attitude.  You can have the exact same day (all the ups and downs) and if you look at it with a positive view, it will be a good day vs. if you look at it with a negative view it would be a bad day.  Also, when you are positive, people react to that, and treat you positively (for the most part).  So attitude is everything.  I believe that that is really what makes people successful.  Society is more willing to move for a positive, happy person than for the die-hard cynic.  And all that is not to mention the fact that if you're positive, you will feel more fulfilled even if you aren't as successful as you had dreamed in the beginning.

     I think that this is a great movie to watch, or book to read, regardless of what you want to achieve in life.  It's always good to be reminded how far a positive outlook on life will take you. 

     I give this movie



No comments:

Post a Comment