Monday, April 6, 2015

Meet the Mormons


     Meet the Mormons is a documentary which follows the lives of six incredible LDS members, introducing the world to everyday Mormons and dispelling a lot of rumors or myths about the members of the LDS church.

     I bought this movie for my family for Easter.  As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I may be a bit biased in this review, but I will try to be as objective as possible.

     Anytime I see the truly good works people (and I mean any people from any background) do, I get a little misty-eyed.  There is so much pain and hurt in the world.  The news is full of the most horrific stories you can imagine.  It's good to take a step back and remember that there are incredible people walking on the same soil the terrorists, arsonists, rapists, murderers, and thieves.  the difference is that the news reporters are looking for stories which will shock the reader, not acts of kindness and good deeds.

     In Meet the Mormons, we get an insight into the lives of six people who have done incredible things for the world around them.  Some affected the lives of countless generations, like the candy bomber, and others to just provide for their beloved children, like the single mother at the end.  The film does not preach about the LDS church, rather it follows the lives of a few members.  Anyone, religious or not, would enjoy this film.  It's about people overcoming their environment and circumstances to give something back to the world.

     When I first saw this in the theater I didn't know anything about it other than that it was a film about LDS members.  I actually didn't even know it was a documentary, so I was expecting something totally different than what I saw.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I think you will be, too.

     I give this film


No comments:

Post a Comment